Sunday, January 13, 2008

Thank You

Hello there friends and foes, It's time for a little poetry. I had this on my heart to write so I had to just let the words flow. While writing this I contemplated the relationship between suffering and gratitude in my spiritual life and also how giving thanks to our Creator is something that is often misused and taken for granted. My words are best spoken...so hopefully it still comes through in the reading...peace.

Thank You
I write poetry in the form of prayers because I want to be a man after God’s own heart like David.
So that I may one day speak with the tongues of angels and sing in the key of eternal life in the pitch of peace with the harmony of righteousness.
And my spirit will be flooded with the optimism of having placed my trust in an omnipotent master and my heart will be infused with thanksgiving.
Then my soul will gush with gratitude and I will be able to shout …
“Thanks you my Lord”!,
And NOT just thank you on the 1st and the 15th of each month,
And not just thank you that my boss did not catch me sliding into work ½ an hour late, And not just thank you that the police did not catch my black behind speeding…. in the carpool lane….. by myself,
Not just thank you that this girl did not catch me in the same lie I used last week,
Not just thank you that the preacher finished in time for me to make it home and catch the kickoff during Sunday football,
Not just thank you when I have won my 1st Grammy award for a song whose lyrics of bootyshaking and gunclapping you clearly….. did NOT inspire,
And even not just thank you when my debit card is approved even when I know I don’t even have dust in my checking account.
Let me not JUST limit my thank yous to my food, friends, and family.
Let me not JUST praise you for these things but let my soul overflow with thanks yous when my health is diminished because I will grow closer to you as I rely on you to take each breath and to move each muscle,
And when I have to look into the eye’s of someone I still love and let them go let me still say thank you,
Because some blessings are just for a season, and next season I will receive a greater blessing,
And let me say Thank You when I am in the Lion’s Den,
And the lions have not eaten in weeks,
And love dark meat,
Because I know deliverance is at hand.
Let it be my spirit of thanksgiving that helps me elevate over every struggle so that my relationship with you will not based on what I ask of you but grounded in appreciation for what you have given to me.
Thank You.

No comments: