Thursday, January 3, 2008

Behind Every Man

Today’s Question: What do you think of the statement, “Behind Every Strong Man is a Strong Woman.” How has it rang true or untrue in your lives? Does this just mean couples or does it also apply to Mothers and Sons? Brothers and Sisters? Fathers and Daughters?

As a discussion point I‘ll share a part of a discussion I’ve had in the past with someone about that statement.

Person A: I think it’s sexist. The positioning of the women “behind the man” although it can be positive relegates them to a position of being weaker than or subordinate to the man.

Kofdilla: Ummh, I can see why you would think that. I see it through different eyes.

Person A: I’m sure you do.

Kofdilla: First, what does it mean to be “behind someone”? If I say, “I have my people behind me”, “Who’s behind me?” or, “Why don’t you get behind me on this?” do I mean that the people I refer to should be subordinate to me. Of course not, I think they should “support me” or have my back. Implicitly if every strong man has a strong woman behind him that means that she is in part the reason why he is strong. To make someone stronger you have to provide strength yourself so the woman is obviously not weak but she is strong. She is his support; she makes him as good as he is, he would be less than without her. Martin Luther King Jr. couldn’t have been MLK without Coretta Scott.

Person A: Then why isn’t it the other way around? Why isn’t it that Behind Every Strong Woman is a Strong Man?

Kofdilla: Well, that wouldn’t make my initial interpretation any less true. And you know what? It says something about the strength of women and the deficiencies in man because your statement, which turns the traditional one on its head, is not widely used.

Person A: A Man needs to be strong on his own, he shouldn’t need his woman to be strong for him or make him strong.

Kofdilla: If a woman is going to be his support, his back bone, then her lack of support diminishes his ability to withstand the weight on his back, but if she strengthens him, even if he is strong he can handle so much more. I don’t need to prove this, I’ve seen men rise and fall by it. If they’re woman, mom tells them they are weak and sorry while they are going through something they have a greater chance of falling than if their actions and words support him as a man.

Person A: If my man is weak, I’m going to tell him he’s weak. I don’t need to baby him, he just needs to man up and handle it.

Kofdilla: I’m happy we’re just friends. Lol ;)

3 comments:

Clarence Mitchell said...

Nice!!! She's wack.

Yohance said...

If she tells a man he's weak, he will either step his game up (thanks to her strength of being honest) or he will say "You're not supportive." and move on to the next one.
I dare a woman to say that she's just as strong without the love of her counterpart.
Peace.

Unknown said...

wow!!!

"Im happy we're just friends" is the REALEST thing you have ever said...

...yikes, no man or woman should be with anyone who is that demoralizing...they are usually called pimps, and they have a motive...